This is an immediate opening for a 0.8 time (4 days/week) staff position at our Vancouver office.
West Coast Environmental Law harnesses the power of law to solve complex environmental challenges. For over 40 years we have provided legal information, advice and support to British Columbians in every corner of the province seeking to protect their water, lands and air, while working at the provincial and national scale for systemic legal solutions to environmental problems.
Reporting to the Senior Communications & Engagement Specialist, the Communications & Engagement Specialist will support our team in achieving engagement and communications goals across a variety of audiences and platforms.
We are seeking an individual who:
- Has the experience and commitment to help deepen our organisational engagement with individuals from all walks of life, inspiring understanding, commitment and action for systemic environmental solutions
- Is a skilled writer, with the ability to professionally design, edit, and proofread materials for print, online and social media
- Is a compelling story-teller who understands the relationship between images and words; knowledge of Adobe Suite including InDesign and Photoshop will be an important asset
- Has a solid knowledge and understanding of current digital and social media trends, and a strong facility with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Has experience executing successful earned media campaigns
- Is detail-oriented and isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves to get the job done
- Has strong time management skills; with a demonstrated ability to meet multiple and concurrent deadlines
- Has communications experience in a First Nations’ context (desirable)
- Has a degree in communications, public relations or similar field, and a minimum of 2 years’ experience in a communications role
- Is familiar with Salesforce or similar CRM database, and has experience with content management on Drupal or similar website platform
- Work with the Senior Communications & Engagement Specialist and West Coast staff to implement organizational communications strategies, with a particular focus on digital communications and engagement
- Work with the communications and development team to develop and implement engagement strategies, including monitoring supporter engagement, measuring progress and employing best practices to engage individuals and deepen their involvement with the organization
- Support the implementation of communications plans for major organizational or program initiatives (e.g., release of a report; press conference; dialogue forum)
- Coordinate West Coast’s social media presence (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) – including seeking/developing appropriate content, coordinating daily posts and maintaining the social media calendar
- Coordinate monthly e-newsletter and periodic action alerts, including layout and delivery
- Monitor and manage content on West Coast’s Drupal-based website; assist with back-end management of project-specific/client websites and email list communications as requested
- Undertake layout and design of organisational and program communication materials and publications (e.g., annual report) as requested
- Assist with proofreading and copy-editing of online and print materials when required, in alignment with West Coast’s style guide
- Source images and manage West Coast’s digital graphics library
- Assist with distribution of press releases and other announcements to media outlets; assist in maintaining lists of key reporters, producers and media outlets for pitching stories on particular issues; pitch stories when requested to do so; maintain relationships with journalists consistent with West Coast’s mandate and brand
- Monitor media coverage of West Coast Environmental Law
- Monitor key communications metrics and statistics (e.g. website traffic, social media stats) and produce regular reports
- Assist with organizational and programmatic event logistics (e.g., dialogue forums, press conferences) as requested
- Administer webinars offered by West Coast (including setup, promotion, live administration, and follow up communication with attendees)
- Work with the Senior Communications & Engagement Specialist to document West Coast Environmental Law events and create communications materials about West Coast (photos, videos, interviews with people involved with West Coast)
- Help ensure standardization with regards to use of fonts, colours, logo, and image use on West Coast branded material
- Assist in coordinating digital marketing of West Coast Environmental Law (including Google Adwords account)
- Other related tasks assigned by Senior Communications & Engagement Specialist
Remuneration: Salary range is based on an annual full-time salary of $47,000-50,000 (i.e., $37,600-$40,000 at 0.8 time), commensurate with experience. Position includes benefits (after 3 months of employment) and pension (RRSP contribution) after one year of employment.
Please submit your CV and cover letter to email@example.com by January 25th, 2019. Please quote “Communications & Engagement Specialist” in the subject line.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.