West Coast Environmental Law has an exciting opportunity to lead our small but dynamic Development Team.
At West Coast Environmental Law we believe that the best way to safeguard the environment is to have it protected by law. Through law, species and ecosystems will be protected, communities will have a democratic voice in their environmental, social, and economic well-being, and we will make the essential shift to greater sustainability. We provide legal information and legal services to individuals, communities and organizations seeking to protect their water, land and air, and work for systemic legal solutions that bridge between Canadian and Indigenous law to create a more sustainable future for all.
The Director of Development develops, implements, manages and evaluates the success of a comprehensive development program at West Coast Environmental Law. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development is instrumental in envisioning and delivering on West Coast’s fundraising plans and goals. The successful candidate will be accomplished in fundraising, leadership and philanthropic relationship building. They will embrace the values of West Coast and passionately articulate our vision and mission.
- Provides overall development policy and strategic advice to the Executive Director.
- Develops 3 to 5-year strategic fundraising plan for the organization.
- Develops annual development plan and budget; provides hands-on management and implementation of the plan and ensures revenue and expense goals are met.
- Leads and is accountable for all development-related activities of the organization, including major gifts, annual giving, legacy giving, and foundation fundraising. This includes but is not limited to:
- Identifying new grant opportunities, managing foundation funder relationships and leading in developing and writing of funding applications and reports in collaboration with program staff;
- Developing an annual giving plan, overseeing the planning, scheduling, and budgeting of all appeals, and writing compelling donor appeals;
- Managing external fundraisers (e.g., face-to-face, telemarketing) to ensure planned return on investment is achieved and West Coast’s brand is protected and promoted;
- With the support of the Leadership Giving Officer, managing, cultivating and overseeing a portfolio of leadership and planned giving donors.
- Provides inspirational leadership and mentoring to the development team, currently consisting of a Leadership Giving Officer and a Development Coordinator.
- Supervises the development team to ensure all duties are completed in a professional, timely and accurate manner.
- Implements best practices in fundraising and stays current on trends in fund development.
- Convenes the board fundraising committee.
- Works closely with the communications team and participates on the Communications Committee.
- Ensures organization is adhering to CRA rules in relation to fundraising activities.
- Willingness to travel and work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends, with current drivers license and access to a vehicle.
- Ability to lead, coach, mentor and motivate a team.
- Demonstrated record of accomplishment in soliciting and securing gifts.
- Exceptional writing skills necessary to generate succinct and compelling proposals and fundraising materials.
- Strong conceptual, strategic, and analytical skills.
- Passionate, articulate, and driven individual with the capacity to plan and coordinate a variety of concurrent projects and meet deadlines.
- Deep fundraising knowledge.
- Self-motivated, detail orientated, highly organized and able to think out of the box in a fast-moving environment.
- Exemplary relationship building skills.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, multi-task, set priorities, and work under pressure of time constraints.
- High level of competency with fundraising software.
- Financial acumen and business judgement to manage budgets.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 5 to 10 years of fundraising experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience is preferred.
- Strong fundraising background and proven experience, including annual giving, direct mail, grant writing, planned giving, and major gift acquisitions.
- Knowledge and skills acquired through completion of a degree or diploma program in fundraising management, communications and/or marketing, business administration, or combination.
- Or equivalent combination of training and experience through demonstrated previous track record of success and experience .
- CFRE accreditation an asset.
Remuneration: Salary range is $75,000 - $90,000 per annum commensurate with experience. We offer a competitive vacation and benefits package, including pension (RRSP contribution) after one year of employment.
Application Deadline: Please apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be held on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Last date to apply – December 12, 2019.
At West Coast Environmental Law, we aim to promote equality and challenge discrimination. We recognize the value of diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, nationalities, gender identities, sexual orientations, religions and beliefs.