West Coast Environmental Law has an exciting opportunity to join our small but dynamic Development Team. This is a newly created position with an immediate opening for a full-time staff position (35 hours/week) at our Vancouver office.
At West Coast Environmental Law we believe that the best way to safeguard the environment is to have it protected by law. Through law, British Columbia’s species and ecosystems will be protected, communities will have a democratic voice in their environmental, social, and economic well-being, and we will make the essential shift to greater sustainability. We provide legal information, guidance and support to individuals, communities and organizations seeking to protect their water, lands and air.
Reporting to the Director of Development, as the Leadership Giving Officer you will drive revenue from a portfolio of donors capable of making major gifts and/or legacy gift commitments to advance the mission of West Coast. The Leadership Giving Officer will engage in effective cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities to meet annual revenue objectives and is expected to spend the majority of their time directly engaging with prospects and donors.
- Develop and implement personalized cultivation and solicitation plans for major donors and prospects (primarily individuals but also including socially responsible corporations and family foundations)
- Oversee West Coast’s legacy giving program that includes the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of legacy donors
- In collaboration with the Development Coordinator develop and implement a legacy giving prospecting system, and maintain and properly record information about major gift donors and prospects in database
- Engage in face-to-face meetings and personalized contact activities
- Ensure that donors receive impeccable and personalized stewardship
- Implement donor recognition plan and events
- Prepare and coordinate fundraising materials such as proposals, briefing notes, presentations, call reports, letters, and other documents/materials
- Develop and implement a legacy giving program collateral and marketing plan and revise and update West Coast’s Case for Support and Wills Toolkit as necessary
- Respond to legacy giving inquiries and follow-up with documentation, as appropriate, to encourage donors to consider leaving a legacy gift with West Coast
- Conduct regular portfolio reviews to ensure that relationships are advancing and donor development activities are on track
- Track benchmarks and deliver on goals annually
- Develop and maintain a strong understanding of West Coast priorities
- Willingness to travel and work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends, and access to a vehicle
Education and Experience
- Minimum five years of experience in fundraising
- Knowledge and skills acquired through completion of a degree or diploma program in fundraising management, communications and/or marketing, business administration, or combination
- Or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Knowledge of fundraising practices
- Experience with face-to-face solicitations, leadership and legacy giving fundraising
- Exemplary attention to detail
- Experience in creating and presenting compelling proposals to donors based on their philanthropic interests
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with very strong person to person relationship-building and stewardship skills
- Demonstrated success in building and attaining financial and program goals
- Able to work effectively and collaboratively with program staff
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple and changing demands
- Proficient in the use of Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint as well as donor database management systems (knowledge of Salesforce an asset)
- Proven ability to exercise confidentiality, diplomacy and good judgment
- Demonstrated commitment to the environment and understanding of the mission and values of West Coast
Remuneration: Salary range is $55,000 - $65,000 per annum commensurate with experience. We offer a competitive vacation and benefits package including pension (RRSP contribution) after one year of employment. We welcome your cover letter and resume at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30, 2019. Please quote Leadership Giving Officer in the subject line.
At West Coast Environmental Law, we aim to promote equality and challenge discrimination. We recognize the value of diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, nationalities, gender identities, sexual orientations, religions and beliefs.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Visit our website: www.wcel.org