Thank you for your interest in volunteering with West Coast Environmental Law!
- Have a passion for protecting the environment
- Want to help make British Columbia, and Canada as a whole, a more sustainable place to thrive in
- Hope to acquire new skills and resume experience while supporting a good cause
Consider volunteering with our Street Legal Team and join us on our mission to safeguard the environment using the law.
Returning to In-Person Events for 2022
Street Legal Team volunteers support our in-person community outreach activities and convey pressing environmental issues to the public throughout Vancouver and surrounding communities. As we transition into a time where in-person events are happening more frequently, volunteers will have the opportunity to directly engage with community members on a variety of important topics that WCEL advocates for, such as strong environmental laws, marine protection, and upholding Indigenous laws and governance.
Our Street Legal team plays an important role in amplifying our work through exciting volunteer opportunities and activities such as local festivals, community block parties, farmers' markets, and more. For 2022, we hope to spread awareness about the need to hold corporate climate polluters accountable through our newly-launched “Sue Big Oil” campaign. Volunteers will have the opportunity to spread the word about this campaign and encourage the public to sign the Sue Big Oil Declaration at summer events.
As a Street Legal Team volunteer, you will have the opportunity to expand your knowledge on current environmental issues and gain experience in community engagement and advocacy through working with us at in-person events. You will also get to meet other amazing like-minded volunteers who share the same drive to protect our environment through the power of law.
This is an ongoing opportunity for occasional in-person volunteers. Volunteers will be notified of opportunities as they arise and shifts are assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Keen to learn about West Coast's environmental law work, including:
- Strengthening Canada’s environmental laws
- Marine protection
- Climate law and fossil fuel industry accountability
- Tar sands pipelines and tankers
- Indigenous law for land, air, and water
- Environmental legal aid (Access to Justice)
- Experience with community events and/or previous volunteer experience is an asset
- Strong verbal communicator; comfortable speaking with members of the public on a variety of environmental issues
- Ability to take initiative and direction as required
What’s in it for you?
- Expand your knowledge on important environmental, legal, and policy issues
- Gain experience in public outreach and environmental advocacy
- Earn volunteer hours and personalized letter of reference upon request
Related education and previous outreach experience are a bonus, but as long as you are passionate about environmental protection and are interested in learning about current environmental issues, all are welcome!
Please email us and submit a brief paragraph outlining your related experience along with your availability to Alexis at firstname.lastname@example.org.