West Coast Environmental Law joins 33 environmental, justice and community organizations to urge Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Minister Catherine McKenna to institute a robust approach to climate accountability to ensure we do not miss our targets.
True climate accountability is achievable and these steps would need to include:
- Accountability must be enshrined in law
- A climate change committee should be a public, not private, entity.
- Government must prepare 5-year carbon budgets and/or targets as a focus for expert comment and public consultation.
- Mandate of a climate change committee must focus on assessing government progress.
- Government duty to table and respond to climate change committee reports.