The federal government has committed to protecting at least 10% of our ocean space by 2020, and 2017 marks the 20th anniversary of Canada's Oceans Act.
This interdisciplinary workshop will address:
- Experiences with the Oceans Act and marine protection from three coasts
- Co-governance in the marine environment
- International success stories in marine protected areas
- Key legal requirements for marine protection
- Factors for success in achieving Canada's marine conservation goals
Speakers will include:
- Hon. Dominic LeBlanc, Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard
- Russ Jones, Haisla Fisheries Program
- Kaitilin Gaffney, Resources Legacy Fund, California
- And more...
There will also be a public event on June 13th from 6-8:30pm at the Canadian Museum of Nature, featuring renowned conservation photographer and president of SeaLegacy, Cristina Mittermeier.
This workshop is organized and hosted by West Coast Environmental Law in partnership with CPAWS, the David Suzuki Foundation and Ecology Action Centre, with support from Oceans 5.
For more information, please contact email@example.com