Thank you for your interest in volunteering with West Coast Environmental Law!
- Have a passion for saving the environment
- Have a keen eye for social media and its relevant trends
- Are interested in grassroots fundraising for environmental causes
- Want to help make British Columbia, and Canada as a whole, a more sustainable place to thrive in
- Hope to acquire new skills and resume experience while supporting a good cause
Consider volunteering with our Social Media Ambassador team and join us on our mission to safeguard the environment using the law.
Social Media Ambassadors engage in and help amplify West Coast’s initiatives and campaigns, and related environmental law and climate change issues. For example, past volunteers have published social media posts and/or shared personal videos highlighting our work to advocate for a BC Coastal Marine Strategy, or engaging with their networks about the need to hold fossil fuel polluters accountable for the rising costs of climate change.
Now, Social Media Ambassadors will have the chance to participate in and promote our Peer-to-Peer fundraising program. Peer-to-Peer fundraising allows volunteers, students, businesses and community groups who are passionate about protecting the environment to support West Coast by raising crucial funds. You can get involved by hosting an event or fundraiser in your community, or by encouraging your friends/family/colleagues to support West Coast online.
If you’re interested, please refer to our Peer-to-Peer fundraising toolkit to help you get started. Funds raised from Peer-to-Peer fundraisers will go towards many important programs at West Coast Environmental Law, such as RELAW (Revitalizing Indigenous Law for Land, Air & Water), Marine Protection, Access to Justice, and Sue Big Oil. Some examples of Peer-to-Peer fundraisers include:
- An online fundraiser through Facebook or CanadaHelps
- A car wash
- A community BBQ
- An online auction or prize draw
In addition to promoting and taking part in our new Peer-to-Peer fundraising program, Social Media Ambassadors will utilize their own social media profiles to share the important work that WCEL does, for example, encouraging community members to write letters to MPs and encouraging their followers to sign our Sue Big Oil Declaration, and more.
As a volunteer Social Media Ambassador, you will have the opportunity to expand your knowledge on current environmental issues and gain experience in community digital engagement and advocacy through working with us online and through Peer-to-Peer fundraising initiatives. You will also get to connect with other amazing like-minded volunteers who share the same drive to protect our environment through the power of law.
This is an ongoing opportunity for part-time volunteers.
- Keen to learn about West Coast's environmental law work, including:
- Strengthening Canada’s environmental laws
- Marine protection
- Climate law and fossil fuel industry accountability
- Tar sands pipelines and tankers
- Indigenous law for land, air and water
- Environmental legal aid
- Experience with fundraising or digital engagement is considered an asset
- Willingness to take on a self-determined fundraiser on behalf of WCEL through our Peer-to-Peer fundraising program
- Familiar with social media and other digital platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Zoom
- Ability to take initiative and direction as required
What’s in it for you?
- Expand your knowledge on important environmental, legal, and policy issues
- Gain experience in public outreach, digital engagement, fundraising and environmental advocacy
- Earn signed volunteer hours and personalized letter of reference on request
- Earn a Certificate of Recognition when you raise over $100 for WCEL
Related education and previous outreach experience are a bonus, but as long as you are passionate about environmental protection and are interested in learning about current environmental issues, all are welcome!
Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
Please email us and submit a brief paragraph outlining your related experience along with your availability to Alexis at email@example.com.