Biodiversity, Indigenous-led conservation, environmental justice
West Coast Environmental Law joined 200 environmental groups from across Canada in sending an open letter urging Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to halt and reverse nature loss by 2030, support Indigenous-led conservation, restore ecosystems and advance environmental justice.
The open letter, Call for action to deliver on election promises to halt and reverse nature loss by 2030, calls upon the federal government to put into action a comprehensive plan — with timelines and targets — to halt and reverse nature loss by 2030 and bring nature to full recovery by 2050. Government action will be required across many aspects of Canadian society, including these five areas:
- Protecting at least 30 percent of land and ocean by 2030
- Supporting Indigenous-led conservation and respecting Indigenous rights
- Getting nature-based climate solutions right
- Restoring degraded ecosystems
- Supporting urban biodiversity and advancing environmental justice